Teachers should teach the most essential concepts indicated by state standards and standardized exams. Also teachers in urban school should intgrate essential prerequiste skills in the context of the big idea.
Essential Curriculum Planning
- Teach only the most essential concepts indicated by state standards and standardized exams
- Integrate missing pre-requisite skills in context of bigger essential concepts
- Develop or use existing pacing guide to teach essential concepts until mastery
How do I Backward Map Essential Concepts?
- List the most essential concepts indicated by state standrads and exams
- List concepts by order that MOST helps studenst learn
- Break each concept into the necessary prerequisite
- Plan to teach those prerequisites in context of the major concepts
- Creat or use a pacing guide based on how long the big concepts and prerequisite take the studenst to learn